The Samaria Gorge National Park is a truly natural wonder and offers the ultimate hiking experience, beginning deep in the mountains and ending up practically on the shores of the Libyan Sea.
Walk through a deep ravine that’s bathed in sun yet shaded by trees. Descend from often misty mountains on stony hiking paths, cross crystalline springs, walk over fascinating rocky landscapes, admire breath-taking cliffs and take breaks near gurgling fountains. This is the longest gorge in Europe, extending over 18 kilometres (11 miles). It begins at the plateau of Omalos deep in the mountains and ends at the little beachside village of Agia Roumeli on the Southern coast of the island (facing the African coast!).
As you walk, you’ll admire the changing flora full of pine trees, flowering plants, and herbs. At some point after hiking three quarters of the way you’ll come across a fascinating abandoned stone village now used by the National Park Authorities. If you’re lucky, you’ll also come across wild Cretan goats known as Kri-Kri and get to admire birds of prey hovering in the skies above.
After a break in the little lazy village of Agia Roumeli, hop on a boat that takes you the village of Chora Sfakion or Sougia, where the coach will take you back to the Chania-Kissamos side of the island.
We offer excursions to the gorge as soon as the Park authorities open it for the summer season and until they close it to visitors in the autumn (generally May to October).
PICK UP FROM YOUR HOTEL (Or near to your Hotel) from KOLIMBARI – TAVRONITIS – MALEME – GERANI – PLATANIAS – AGIA MARINA – STALOS – KALAMAKI – AG.APOSTOLOI – CHANIA TOWN :
- Day of Samaria Gorge trip: Daily
- Pick Up
- cost 24 €
PICK UP FROM KISSAMOS (KASTELI) :
- Every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday
departure at 5:00 from the Eleftherios Venizelos Square or from your hotel
- cost 34 €
– Early morning start and hotel pick-ups if applicable
– Breakfast stop for 20-30 minutes at Omalos(breakfast not included in the price)
– Meet with guide at gorge entrance of the gorge with tickets (paid in advance aboard the bus)
– Crossing of the Samaria Gorge (4-6 hours)
– Free time in Agia Roumeli, good for a meal or swim
– Boat from Agia Roumeli to Sougia or Chora Sfakion pre-purchased by our guide (paid in advance on board the bus)
– Return around8.30 pm
- Transfer Coach
Entrance fee to gorge: 5 euros (free for children under 15 years old)
Boat ticket from Agia Roumeli to Sougia: 10 euros (50% off for children up to 12 years old)
This tour is not recommended for:
– persons with health problems (e.g. heart disease, breathing problems, fatigue, weak knees),
– pregnant women
– small children
– the physically challenged
BOOK YOUR TRIP
fill the “Request Form” or Tel.+30 28220 22900 / +30 694 7091549 or E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Kindly send your request at least 48 hours BEFORE THE TRIP so we can process it. Eleni, Manolis or Giannis will get back to you as soon as possible.